The application process can be overwhelming. But it doesn't have to be. Just remember to be organized and meet all deadlines.
Here's a brief overview of the application process:
- Take the SAT, SAT Subject Tests or ACT. Talk with your guidance counselor about dates and details.
- Narrow down your list of colleges by the fall of your senior year.
- Take campus tours of your narrowed down list of colleges.
- Gather applications for the colleges you are interested in applying to. Know the requirements and deadline for each application. Keep a file for each college. Most applications are due in the fall of your senior year.
- Allow enough time to complete the applications and gather all the information you need.
- Get recommendation letters from your counselor, teacher, mentor, or employer.
- Write your application essay.
- Ask your guidance counselor to send transcripts. Be sure to give them deadlines.
- Look for acceptance letters and financial aid award packages by April of your senior year.
- Compare aid offers, go on campus tours, and notify the school of your choice by May 1.
- Next >>